Wednesday, April 30, 2014

...One Who Fears the Lord


(Michael’s annual takeover of Erin’s Blog!)
In painting the picture of a virtuous and remarkable wife, Proverbs 31:30 states, “Charm is deceitful and beauty is a vapor; (but) a woman who fears Yahweh (the LORD)—she should be praised!”

Such a woman is my wife, Erin. When I first laid eyes on her, I was attracted by her modesty, for gently she displayed her beauty without drawing undue attention to herself. As I watched more of her, I saw that she understood external beauty to be a vapor—as she devoted more time to pursuing inner beauty than outer beauty. And yet what beauty she has of both!

On Erin’s birthday, I give thanks to God that the Spirit of God within her has continued to shape her into a woman who fears the Lord. I am the most blessed man to be loved by such a woman. And my children are privileged to be mothered by such a God-fearing mommy. And so today I obey Proverbs 31:30 and give praise to her and praise for her.

I am joined by the chorus of her many friends who too have seen what I have seen. Here is just a snippet of what her friends have written about her over the past month: 
I give thanks to God for Erin because…
  •  “One word that stands out to me when I think of you is encourager…” *(encouragement mentioned over 30 times!)
  • “I know of few others who let His love shine through them like you…”
  • “of your efforts to gather people together for fun and fellowship…”
  • “the focus of your ministry is always others-centered…”
  • “God has gifted you with open communication…”
  • “of your compassion and concern for me…”
  • “of your purposeful friendship…”
  • “of the grace that was given you in Christ Jesus…
  • “of the evidences of grace I see in your life…”
  • “In the midst of many difficulties you have clung to Jesus as your great reward.”
  • “You are careful to prioritize your family even above things that might give you more short term personal satisfaction…”
  • “Your friendship is a gift to me…”
  • “You value the things of God…”
  • “You are an energetic, enthusiastic, engaging person…”
  • “You have an infectious faith that makes the love of God palpable to all…”
  • “You are honest and humble…”
  • “Your nature is so gentle and positive…”
  • “You show the joy and peace of Jesus…”
  • “You have the gift of hospitality…”
  • “You have such a loving heart for God and others…”
  • “You bring smiles to my face…”
  • “You have welcomed me into your life…”
  • “You model mission-mindedness towards neighbors…”
  • “You aren’t wrapped up in makeup, fashion, or television culture, which encourages so many other women to just be who God made you to be…”
  • “You remain faithful to your calling as a wife and mother…”
  • “You exhibit the fruit of the Spirit…”
  • “You are just the wife Michael needs…”
  • “You encourage and spur me on to righteousness without making me feel foolish…” 

Happy Birthday Erin!

No comments:

Post a Comment