Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Lydia's Birth Story!

On Monday, February 18th- we had a doctor appointment at 9am for a stress test for the baby and a check of amniotic fluid levels.  My due date was Friday, February 15th and this time I really felt like I was struggling with being overdue and waiting for the Lord's timing for this baby to come.  But again the Lord was kind in teaching me to wait and trust His timing for the coming of this little one!  We went for the appointment at Good Sam and they said my fluid levels were low.  The doctors then sent me to Triage where we again waited for about 2 hours while they assessed me and the doctors determined what course of action to take.  I did enjoy getting to know the nurse I was with a bit as every nurse we encountered that day was so sweet and just what we needed at the moment!  They then said they wanted to keep me and induce that day.  We then waited for a room and got admitted.  Now if you know me- you know I like to be prepared and organized, and yet I was not prepared for this change of plans for my day.  I had laundry everywhere as it was Monday- laundry day and Jeremiah was down with Ben & Laura.  I am so thankful for Ben & Laura who pitched in and helped take care of the boy.  Mom Lyons did my laundry and cleaned up and Laura brought all our stuff down with us as we did not have any of our "things" in the car.

I was so thankful for our first nurse- Megan- she was a believer and we talked a lot about Israel and Jerusalem as her husband's family had lived in Israel for a long time and they were going to visit at some point.  I was a little disappointed as the doctor had decided to give me a cervix softener before giving me the pitocin.  We have seen the Lord's hand all over the delivery process and answering so many of my prayers and concerns!  They gave me the softener around 12:30pm and would check me again around 4:30- 4 hours later.  It was nice to have Laura Lyons and her sister Sarah come visit me in the hospital and spend some time while we waited.  I began having some menstrual cramping and then started having contractions on my own about 3 minutes apart.  They checked me at 4:30pm and I was 2cm and decided since I was having contractions to let my body do its work.  They moved us to a Labor & Delivery Room around 6pm and I was beginning to have harder back labor and stronger contractions.  Around 7:15pm- I was begging Michael for the epidural.  I was waiting for the doctor to come check me and when they finally arrived I was 4cm and decided to get the epidural.  They came around 8pm and made Michael leave while they gave it to me.  I rested for about an hour and then around 9:30 was beginning to feel a lot of pressure in my bottom like I needed to push.  I told my nurse- Brittany- what I was feeling and she checked me (thankfully) and ran to get the doctor.  Apparently they were very busy on Monday night and they were delivering lots of babies.  She told me to hold my legs closed and not to push which easier said than done.  The doctors and nurses came in and she told me she would basically break my water and the baby should come out.  They broke my water and I think they had me to do two pushes and she seemed to come right out.  It might help that she had a small head too and was only 7 lb. 4 oz.  She had some meconium inside and so when she came out they whisked her away to make sure she did not breathe it in.  I don't even remember anyone telling me her gender right away- I had to ask someone if we knew for sure.  Thankfully I only had a one degree tear and I feel like this recovery has been so much better than with Jeremiah.  And so Lydia Eliah Lyons was born earlier than we expected, Monday, February 18th at 9:50pm weighing 7lb. 4 oz and 20 inches long.

There are so many things I praise God about this delivery.  One of my huge concerns was that I would know when to go to the hospital and the Lord really decided that for me by having us stay and be admitted to the hospital.  I was so thankful to not have to get the pitocin and that my body went into labor on my own!    I was so thankful for the quick labor the Lord gave me and helped me through the pain and gave me a great coach- Michael!  We were so thankful for the great nurses at Good Sam and the great docs that took care of us at Faculty Medical Center- we really had a great experience!  We were so thankful that the nurses at Good Sam let us rest for the most part and really were trying to help us and take care of us!  I was thankful for Megan and Brittany, the nurses that helped during the labor!  And most of all, we are helpful for a healthy baby girl who seems to be such a laid back baby.  She seems so much more relaxed than Jeremiah who was colicky and cried all the time.  She has her moments but for the most part so far is a pleasant little girl!  We praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!!




No comments:

Post a Comment