Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Dr. Cutrer- a beloved physician and professor

While away last week on vacation- away from the noise of the internet, phones, emails, away from the to-do list and in the beautiful Smokey Mountains with family and able to rest- I learned through a text I was barely able to get from a friend that a beloved physician and professor had died from Southern Seminary!  Dr. Cutrer was a Godly man and example to many.  Many at the Seminary knew and loved him!  Michael and I took a Marriage and Family class with him and were challenged by his humble and yet bold love for his wife and family!  Personally, the Lord used him mostly in a season of life when I was struggling with a dose of infertility and waiting for a child.  He worked in the Seminary clinic and on a few occasions, I talked with him about becoming pregnant and all sorts of things.  I also went to see him after my partial molar pregnancy and I remember him saying how rare that type of pregnancy was- like I was a rare find.  :)

The man was a pastor, doctor and counselor wrapped into one.  I read his book The Infertility Companion:  Hope and Help for Couples Struggling with Infertility.  I loved how he was so personal to students and truly was such a caring and loving doctor- I know that he often gave free ultrasounds and helped many at the clinic who were hoping to have a little one!  Dr. Cutrer was and will continue to be a gift to the church through his love for people and his resources he has written. 

A few days before he died, Michael had talked to him on the phone as he was going to do a Marriage conference for our church at ECC in November.  Michael was able to tell him that the Lord had graciously blessed us with two sweet little ones and Cutrer was very excited.  One thing Michael and I definitely were contemplating a lot during vacation is that life is short- sudden news like this puts eternity much more readily on our minds and hearts, which is a good thing.  Dr. Cutrer will be missed and we are praying the Lord would be ever real to his family at this time!

Below is Southern Seminary's news article about his life:  
http://news.sbts.edu/2013/07/13/william-r-cutrer-seminary-professor-dies-suddenly-from-heart-related-issues/

No comments:

Post a Comment