Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fall Fun!


 We have been enjoying the leaves and the beautiful fall weather the last fee weeks!  Last weekend, we did our traditional (6th annual) Lyons' Family Reformation Day including watching the movie Luther as well as eating pizza!  It was a bit more challenging with the babies this year- Jonathan and Jeremiah but it was fun still the same!
 This is my attempt at a 9 month photo shoot of Jeremiah!  :)  Well, not as good as my friend Laura but at least I tried.  :)  And now getting a 9 month old to sit still and look at me long enough is challenging! 
 Things I have been baking:  I have really enjoyed making applesauce this year and freezing that as well as my Grandma's Apple Pie!  Michael had requested several, especially when we found apples at 49 cents a pound at Meijer.  And yes, that is our piggy oven mit. 
Applesauce:  I use McIntosh apples- peel the skin and cut them up with an apple cutter, put them in a big pot and simmer on low for several apples as they boil down- I do put some water in the pot with them and then add a little sugar when it is done- super easy and delicious!  Then when cooled- pop it in the freezer!  :)
Apple Pie Recipe:  (Mom-mom's Apple Pie)
5-6 large McIntosh apples
1-9 inch pie crust
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
(Mix sugar & cinnamon together)
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. flour
1/3 c. butter softened (mix sugar, flour & butter together- crumb topping mix )
Mix sugar, flour and butter and put on top for the topping. 
Cut and peel apples and put in pie crust.  Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar on top.  Top with the sugar, flour and butter mixture as a crumb topping.  Bake at 450 for 10 minutes and then 350 for 40 minutes.  Yummy!


 Last weekend, we also had a Square Dance at church on Reformation Sunday!  It was quite the festivities- this is what Jeremiah and Jonathan thought of our square dance!  They were not as impressed!  :)  I think they liked the straw though!  Grandpa Lyons faithfully watched the kiddos so that Ben & Laura and Michael and I could do-see-do.  :)

 Jeremiah just turned 9 months yesterday- so hard to believe!  The kid is crawling with the intent of walking I do believe.  He just is pulling up on everything and wants to stand a ton!  He loves the swing so we have been taking him to the little park near us- it is also the park where I run and walk in the mornings!  This park is definitely not as good as Cherokee in Louisville but it at least beats running on Colerain Avenue!  :)
 This past weekend, we also had a birthday party for Mom Lyons as her birthday is today!  She has done so much for our family and faithfully serves us!  On Sunday night, she watched Jeremiah so we could go to the Hebrew Union banquet- the food was delicious and I wish I had taken a picture of the chocolate mousse dessert- so good!  I even had to eat some of guy who could not eat it because it contained gluten- my hubby!  Poor guy!  So that has been our Fall Fun so far!  :)

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe Jeremiah is getting so big! It's such a fun age, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,

    Love the pictures with the two boys in their bib overhauls!! Have they been farming long???

    grand pop

    ReplyDelete