Thursday, November 21, 2013

"Jeremiah's Lessons..."

This Fall- I have been trying to be more intentional about doing some "lessons" with Jeremiah- especially on the mornings when we are home- like when Katy is around! These are loosely called "lessons" as the kid is only 2 1/2 but it is neat to see children beginning to learn and wanting to do things with their Mommy! Jeremiah's favorite activity by far is reading- I think we read the same book over and over again (which sometimes gets old- I think his favorite this week is Stellaluna). But we will keep reading to him! Through some encouragement of a mentor friend and some great moms I know- and using some of Christy G.'s ideas too- Christy had to put in a plug for you if you read this- we have been working on mainly numbers and ABCs. And of course- he tends not to remember the letters yet but we are working on it slowly. We are trying to do a letter of the week- I think we are up to letter L and then some weeks we stop and have fall fun days- like painting and carving pumpkins, jumping in leaves, making little turkey crafts for thanksgiving or a thankful tree! It is teaching me to be intentional with Jeremiah while not putting too much pressure on myself right now which is great! Though sometimes I do feel inadequate to teach my kids- I don't feel as smart as say my Ph.D. husband- I pray the Lord would use me for His glory to train these little hearts and minds! Our plan for the day is usually a time of reading our alphabet book- singing the song and having a letter like J- and collecting things that begin with J in our bag. Then we usually read some books that I get from the library that begin with J. Then we sing songs like Jesus Loves Me, I'm in the Lord's and my God is so Big! And sometimes we will do a craft- I particularly liked the J week- with Jello- I found a J cutter and we cut out J out of jello to eat! We also made an igloo for the letter I and for the letter K- we made a crown so Jeremiah could be like a King.

No comments:

Post a Comment