Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Craving Idols...

I am reading a book lately with a few other ministry wives called The Pastor's Wife.  The Lord is using it to prune me in this season as Michael has been hired more full time in an assistant pastor like ministry.  I have been struggling lately with feeling "fulfilled" at home in my role as a mom.  Ministry outside the home- really anywhere calls me...  It echoes secret whispers in my heart- You should be spending time here... You would find more joy here...  And yet, God has been speaking His Truth to my heart and used several chapters in this book to reveal to me the "idol of ministry" that I often set above Him!  She asks some good questions, "What activity, if it were taken from you, would devastate you.  You know that a ministry opportunity is greater to you than Jesus if, when it is taken, hindered, or altered, you feel rattled, wrecked, preoccupied, anxious, insecure, insignificant, ignored, angry, sad, betrayed or distraught."  In those moments- I have given that ministry or "what I want" more value than knowing Christ!  It has become my idol to be worshipped.  She says, "an idol can't die for our sins...idols do not give grace, they rule by karma."  "Jesus must be more compelling to us."  He is our greatest treasure and joy!  "In pointing us to the cross, our frailties and shortcomings (and in motherhood it seems like many!) become servants for our joy in Christ!"  I have put this verse over my sink- trying to remind myself I live to please and honor the Lord- no one else! 
Colossians 3:17- "And whatever you do in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment