Friday, February 19, 2016

The Helper...

This week, the Lord has been convicting me and teaching me about my role as the helper of my husband.  I know that I was created to help him in ministry but I don't always feel that in my heart.  I was reading again another chapter from The Pastor's Wife that convicted me of this role.  I was realizing that often- though I want to help my husband and my kids- often the question in my heart is- but who is going to help ME?  She says that if "we feel bitterness in our hearts then we can likely trace it back to this doubt:  "What about me?  Where's my help, Lord."  She notes that even if you wanted a househelper, a dishwasher or a babysitter- these will only bring temporary relief.  The problem is my heart!  She then quoted two verses- Psalm 121:1-2- "I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come from?  My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth."  I am learning slowly that HE is my help.  He is the one who will help me be a mom and give my the strength I need to do what I need to do at just the right moment.  Another verse- Hebrews 13:5-6- "Keep your life free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, for He has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you."  So we say confidently, "The Lord is my helper.  I will not fear, what can man do to me."  Furman says, "the role of helper to your husband is a joy-filled, God- enabled role that reminds you to keep looking to the heavens for your help as you emulate your Father."  A friend who I Skype with regularly once reminded me from Titus 2:4 that what the Older women are to be training the younger women in is to be busy at home and to love their husbands and children.  That is our primary focus.  Another thing that challenged me- was to realize that we as a married couple are "one flesh."  We are one in marriage- he does not have a ministry and I have a ministry.  Though my ministry may seem more behind the scenes- it is a joint effort together in ministry to the body of Christ together!  Good truths that I needed to ponder and be reminded of! 

Our God, our help in ages past,
Our hope for years to come,
Be Thou our guard while troubles last,
And our eternal home.

No comments:

Post a Comment