Friday, February 3, 2012

Give Them Grace

I am facilitating a discussion at our church on the book Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick and her daughter Jessica Thompson.  It has been very thought provoking for me and has been a great book to think through in how you apply the gospel to parenting. 

The authors say that a lot of times we think "good parenting in, good parenting out."  We want to see the result of all the hard work we are putting into parenting- but that is not always the case.  Just because we raise our kids in the gospel does not believe they will be believers.  We need to give up trust in ourselves and in our efforts!  We are to be faithful parents and let the faith of our children in the Lord's hands!  "Works righteousness is motivated by unbelief, it is a reliance on our abilities and a desire to control outcomes."  We can want our kids transformation so much that it can become an idol-something we long for more than Christ.  I love the statement she says, "We simply don't believe that God is good enough to entrust with our children's souls or that he's wise enough to know what will make us ultimately happy and satisfied.  We have far too high a view of our ability to shape our children and far too low a view of God's love and trustworthiness."  I need to remember in my parenting that good parenting does not produce righteous children- we are only dependent on the grace and mercy of God.  And so I must rest myself in His saving work for me on the cross and His finished work for my children and trust and pray for His grace in this parenting journey and wisdom for day to day!  (Chapter 3)

1 comment:

  1. Erin, that book changed my life- I'm serious. In relation to my understanding of the Gospel, the way I view my children and my relationship with them. I love that book and am so thankful for it! Are you doing a Sunday School class?? So glad you are liking it too!

    ReplyDelete