Friday, April 27, 2012

Contentment- Delighting in the Giver!

Lately, the Lord has been teaching me once again about contentment.  It seems that this is a recurrent theme in my life. :)  I thought once the Lord graciously blessed me with Jeremiah that I would no longer be discontented in the area of children.  And yet I find myself again struggling with a desire for another child and waiting on the Lord's good timing and even wondering if I will be able to have another child.  A sweet friend had given me the devotional, Contentment by Lydia Brownbeck during my season of waiting to have a child and I find myself again pulling this book off the shelf. 
"Isn't it better to go without if God is not the giver?  Everything on earth lies at God's beck and call, and therefore He is well able to provide us the thing we long for if it seems good to him to do so.  Are we willing to let go and leave the matter in His hands?  If we will just let go, we will find ourselves content with or without our heart's desire." 
"Can we not be content if part of the "all things" includes some withholding?  For the daughter of God, any withholding is itself a provision, and we can experience it with joy when we know that the with holder loves us."
I was reminded of Romans 8:32 this week- "He who did not spare his own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?"  He did not spare His own Son and so He will graciously give us all things that are good for us! 
And then my last quote- "Our problem really isn't that we need something we don't have; our problem is that we don't find God to be enough for us." 
Phil. 3:8- "Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord." 
Praying that I would so desire and treasure Christ above all His good gifts and that I would trust that He is as good as He says He is.  No good thing does He withhold.  And praying that I would delight in the Giver above His gifts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment