Friday, April 13, 2012

Willing To Be Weak?


My dad sent me an article this morning that was refreshing and a good reminder to my soul.  It reminded me of His grace and my weakness.  I pray that I would treasure Jesus in the midst of trials whether big or small throughout the day and through triumphs, when I may be tempted to glory in myself and not glorify and praise Christ!

Here is a quote (Desiring God Blog):
The gospel should shape the way we shape our home. One way the gospel does this is by us mothers expecting that we will not always meet the standards of excellence that we set. If we want to give grace to our children then we must be willing to receive it first from God. We tend to wallow in shame or scoff in cynicism over our inability to keep our hands out of the proverbial cookie dough. At some point we will fail, and sometimes we will fall hard.
But then we must boast in the gospel because in it God mercifully gives us Christ to be our valued treasure. Jesus is our consistency; he fulfilled the expectations of the law, and in him all the promises of God find their Yes (2 Corinthians 1:20).

My prayer is that I would be reminded of the amazing grace of God in the day to day and give myself grace first before I can hope to give it to my child.  In our last study of Give Them Grace, by Elyse Fitzpatrick, I was challenged with the weakness of parenting.   Dave Harvey states, "I thought parenting was going to portray my strengths, never realizing that God had ordained it to reveal my weakness."  Elyse Fitzpatrick asks the questions, "Is there room in your parenting paradigm for weakness and failure if weakness and failure glorify God?"  It is amazing to think that Scripture says we are weak- we are not perfect parents.  Our weakness is a sign of strength- in our weakness, we are stripped of all boasting in and of ourselves, our methods and our plans and we can truly depend on our Sovereign and All Good God. 

2 Corinthians 12:9- May we ever boast in our weakness- knowing that it is His power that is made perfect in our weakness!  May we glory and boast in our weakness so that through our failures and frailties we would display His Almighty Power that is at work in our weak bodies!!!  As the children's lullaby states- "We are weak but He is strong."

1 comment:

  1. I needed this today in my parenting!! Thanks so much for the reminder, Erin!!!

    Love,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete