Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Jewish Quarter & Ben Yehuda

So- we are attempting to cook in Israel while we are here.  Things are very expensive in Israel so we have decided to try to cook a lot of our meals.  We have gone out a few times, but I have the fun challenge of trying to pick things out in the grocery stores by labels or pictures and it is always hard to know the price.  So far we have found some spaghetti sauce and beef and I made some tacos and a spanish beef recipe.  Tonight, I am attempting to make for all the boys chicken Parmesan with potatoes.  While Michael was off galavanting in the Negev dessert, J and I headed to the Old City with our trusty map and then walked to the supermarket all up hill and stopped and played in the fountain.  How thankful I am that my sweet sister-in-law Laura sewed the straps to my book bag- today showed the test of her skill as I had my little stroller filled with groceries and a huge watermelon in my backpack.  Needless to say, after the 25 minute walk home- I was glad to sit down. 

On Sunday, we took a tour of the Jewish quarter of Jerusalem with a top archeologist here.  We went through some remains of Herod's old mansions and palaces.  And we had a pretty awesome view again of the Temple Mount from the Jewish quarter.  Each section of the Old City is a whole different world as there is the Jewish, Armenian, Christian and Muslim quarters.  Sunday night then, we took a walk to the market and got some wonderful fruit!  We also had dinner on Ben Yehuda street- which is a popular place to go.  We had our first taste of Schwarma which we loved!!!  It is meat, tomatoes, cucumbers in a pita with a hummus type sauce.  I have been surprised how Jeremiah has loved the food here.  He is loving the pitas and meat and is doing great with whatever we give him.










1 comment:

  1. Love these updates! And am SO happy that things are going so well for you all. It's an answer to many prayers! We continue to pray for you all. Thanks for letting us glimpse your trip!

    ReplyDelete