Monday, June 11, 2012

Wailing Wall in Old City

This is an old tomb, like one that Jesus might have been in.
 On Thursday, we did a tour of the Western Wailing Wall and we took a tour under Temple Mount.  I did not realize that because of the Muslim quarter, the Jews could not get to the wall closest to the temple because Muslims lived there.  So they have been digging tunnels under the wall and there is a passage way that people walk through and pray at the site closest to the Temple Mount.


Jeremiah and Michael in the tunnel

View of the Wailing Wall

We found an amazing park near the apartment that I love to walk to.  It has a beautiful view of the Old City.  We love to walk there in the evening when it is cooler and getting dark. I just love exploring cities and finding parks.  I told Michael that I thought I could live in Jerusalem.  I love the beauty of the city, the clear blue skies and just the mix of diversity in cultures. 


View of the wall from the park

 Since Saturday was Shabbat here and most Jewish places shut down, we decided to walk into the Old City and see the Christian quarter.  This is Michael and Jeremiah and Charlie and Jason.  We walked into the Church of the Holy Sepulcher too which is a massive huge church.
 This week is the Festival of Lights in the Old City where they light it up, so I think Michael and I will try walking the Old City tonight after dark while Jeremiah is sleeping. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful that things are going well for you. What an amazing opportunity for your family. Thanks for keeping us all updated! We miss you in Cincinnati. Can't wait to hear many stories when you get back... maybe at the coffee shop???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin! Thank you for the updates and pictures--how exciting to see all three of you there in Jerusalem! Praying for a wonderful time there--peace, safety, and JOY! Love you all three--Julie

    ReplyDelete