Thursday, August 16, 2012

Fight For Joy!

It is hard having a little toddler to find time to be in God's Word, even harder I am sure as your family grows.  Lately, I am praying the Lord would help me prioritize my time and to fight the desires of the flesh to be busy doing other things and sit down right when I get up or if not, at Jeremiah's nap time and be in His Word.  I am also trying to slowly read a book- one little section at a time during this time.

The past few days, I have yet again picked up the book When I Don't Desire God by John Piper.  This book is always such a refreshment to my soul particularly during seasons when I feel like my affections for God are not where they should be.  Today as I was ready just a paragraph, it again gave me such good thoughts to chew on. 
Here are a few quotes:
The goal- "To obtain or recover a joy in Christ that is so deep and so strong that it will free me from bondage to Western comforts and security, and will impel me into sacrifices of mercy and missions, and will sustain me in the face of martyrdom?"  "The key to endurance in the cause of self-sacrificing love is not heroic willpower, but deep, unshakable confidence that the joy we have tasted in fellowship with Christ will not disappoint us in death....Christ will be glorified in the world when Christians are so satisfied in him that they let goods and kindred go and lay down their lives for others in mercy, missions, and, if necessary, martyrdom.  He will be magnified most among the nations when, at the moment Christians lose everything on earth, they say, "To live is Christ, and to die is gain."  (Phil. 1:21)  pg. 20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment