Saturday, May 11, 2013

Happy Rainy Saturday!

Being a mother is one of the hardest roles I have ever had.  On this upcoming Mothers Day, I think about the few years while we were at Southern Seminary that I longed to be a mom.  I remember talking to many women and sweet friends that themselves longed for children and yet God in his perfect plan had not granted kiddos to them.  I do remember the pain of Mother's Day after having a miscarriage and even those years of trying to have kids feeling a punch in the gut on this day as mothers were honored at church.  I always hope to remember Mother's Day- not only to celebrate it but also to remember those women who long to be mothers and feel the weight of the empty womb!  I pray that if my husband is a pastor one day we will collectively look out for those women who are hurting or who may have lost their moms and this day holds pain for many of them. I also was reminded this year of the importance of honoring women that have been a "Spiritual Mother" to me in shepherding, loving, encouraging and guiding me in this earthly role of mother.  And I pray that those who were never able to have their own children would be reminded that they can be a "spiritual mother" to many many women and young moms that need an adoptive mother! 

I am also reminded on Mother's Day of many years ago- I listened to a powerful message by John Piper- "To Be A Mother is a Call To Suffer."  This message has impacted me more than any on the call of Motherhood to suffer- not what you would think of an encouraging Mother's Day message.  Yet, it reminded me that Motherhood is a call daily to take up your cross and selflessly follow Christ and point your children to Christ and lay down your life for your husband and children!  It is a humbling and dying to self and serving others with joy because of Christ!  Happy Mother's Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment